Monday, February 28, 2011

Homemade Bathsalts, Ahhh-mazing.


There's nothing better than sinking into a hot, relaxing and delicious smelling bath after a long day of work. I think making your own aromatherapy bath is a great way to help your mind and body unwind into blissful serenity. You could even draw a bath for someone else- my good friend told me that was one of the best gifts she has ever received!

Making your own is less expensive than buying bath salts plus it's all natural. This recipe is great for yourself to have salts on hand or as a gift for a friend, plus you can personalize it and make exactly what you want. Feel free to change up the recipe if you don't have all the ingredients.

Aromatherapy Mineral Bath
2 Tablespoons borax
2 Tablespoon baking soda
1 Cup sea salt
Optional: 1/2 cup Epsom salt
Essential oils

  • In a medium sized clean bowl, pour borax, baking soda and sea salt and mix together with a wooden spoon. Then drop in a generous amount of essential oils (15-20 drops) and mix together. 
  • I like to use a mixture of different essential oils to change things up, depending on my mood. My favorite combo is Lavender and Eucalyptus. You can also find premixed blends at your local natural food store. Right now my most recent obsession is Aura Cacia Tranquility, which I use right before I go to sleep. Ahhh-mazing.
  • Store in an airtight glass container. I like to reuse old food jars for a cute eco look.
  • For sore muscle relief use Epsom salt in the recipe.
  • Enjoy your bath!

Here is more information about essential oils:

Essential Oil Basics
More Do-It-Yourself Relaxing Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment