Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Strengthening Fish Soup


I recently got knocked out with a bad case of food poisoning - I think I am over eating fried food at restaurants... Even though it was a painful and uncomfortable experience, it was also an opportunity to put what I have learned about healing and food to the test. With some advice from my expert macrobiotic chefs and friends, I was able to regain my strength and my ability to eat real foods again.

One dish that I decided to make to help me regain my strength was Fish Soup. Not only did this soup help me to feel stronger, it also tasted delicious! Here is the recipe. And just remember, if you are ever feeling weak - fish, root vegetables, stronger seasonings and cooking foods for a longer amount of time is a great way to go.

Strengthening Fish Soup

toasted sesame oil
1 onion, sliced in half moons
2-3 carrots, kinpira (matchstick) cut
burdock root or other root vegetable, kinpira (matchstick) cut - optional
sea salt
4 cups of water
2 stamp sized pieces of kombu seaweed, soaked in water for a few minutes
5 pieces of cod fish
barley or brown rice miso paste
4 stalks of scallions, in 2 inch slices

  1. Heat your pot to medium low and saute onions in a small amount of sesame oil. Occasionally stir the onions and let them cook for about 4 minutes.
  2. Add in carrots and other (optional) vegetables. Stir and let cook for 5 minutes.
  3. Turn the flame down to low, sprinkle vegetables with a little sea salt and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes.
  4. Pour 4 cups of water over the vegetables in the pot. Add in the kombu and turn the heat to high. Bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
  5. Add in pieces of cod and cover. Let cook for 4 minutes or until the cod is tender.
  6. Add in scallions and dissolve miso. Taste the broth and add more miso to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment